Junior Players and Kitchen Dog Theater started Playwrights Under Progress (PUP) Fest in 2002 as a new piece of Kitchen Dog Theater’s New Works Festival. An annual anticipated event, PUP Fest is also a component of the Dallas Playwriting Arts Collective (D-PAC), a partnership between Junior Players, Kitchen Dog Theater, and the Dallas Independent School District to provide innovative programs and opportunities for high school playwrights.The D-PAC partnership allows Junior Players and Kitchen Dog to serve an additional 1,000 DISD students through ongoing playwriting master classes throughout the school year.
PUP Fest was recognized in September 2003 with a Special Award from the Dallas-Fort Worth Theater Critics Forum and allows high school playwrights the opportunity to be mentored by some of Dallas’ most renowned playwrights. Each script that is chosen is paired with a cast of teen actors and directed by local professional actors and directors.
In 2021, all 6 playwrights were awarded scholarships thanks to a generous donation by John and Kathy Palter and Bob and Linda Appel.
- Scripts must be written by students in grades 9-12
- Scripts must be short (between 10-15 minutes with a 10 page minimum)
- Scripts must be typed in 12pt Times New Roman or Arial font (no hand-written scripts will be accepted)
- Scripts must have official cover sheet with title, author's name, address, contact phone number, name of school, current grade, and availability
- Scripts must only contain between one and five actors (character doubling is acceptable)
All scripts are due by end of day on April 15th, 2022.
PUP Fest Rehearsal Schedule:
June 6 - 11, 2022
- Monday - Thursday: 1 pm - 4 pm
- Friday: 12 pm - 5 pm
- Saturday: 12 pm - 6 pm
Six scripts will be selected for PUP Fest 2022 - a festival of staged readings on June 11 - and we want to read yours! Location for rehearsals and performance is still to be determined and will be announced here when solidified.
Any student currently enrolled in grades 9 - 12 are eligible to participate! To submit your script for PUP Fest, complete the form below OR mail your completed script and cover letter to Kitchen Dog Theater at 4774 Algiers Street, Dallas TX 75207.